Via: Twitter Support : The Official Twitter Text Commands: “The Official Twitter Text Commands”
The Official Twitter Commands
Did you know: you can perform certain actions, like following or marking a friend’s update as a favorite, by using the designated Twitter commands? Use the commands listed below from your phone, the web update box, or your favorite third party application.
Please note : When using these commands make sure that you do not append an @ along with it.
For example, if you want to turn on device notifications send only ON and not @ON.
Similarly, if you want to stop getting updates from Twitter send STOP and not @STOP.
If you send these commands with an @, it will be considered as an username and will not be executed as expected!
Read on to know more Twitter commands..
Turning Twitter off and on: device notifications
ON: turns ALL phone notifications on.
- OFF, STOP, QUIT, End, Cancel, Arret or Unsubscribe: turns ALL phone notifications off.
- ON username: turns on notifications for a specific person on your phone. For example, ON alissa.
- OFF username: turns off notifications for a specific person on your phone. For example, OFF blaine.
- FOLLOW username: this command allows you to start following a specific user, as well as receive SMS notifications. Example: follow jermy
- LEAVE username: this command allows you to stop following a specific user, as well as stop receiving SMS notifications. Example: leave benfu
Fun Stuff: friends, favorites, and stats!
- @username + message
directs a twitter at another person, and causes your twitter to save in their “replies” tab.
Example: @meangrape I love that song too!
- RT username
Retweet’s a users latest Tweet
- D username + message
sends a person a private message that goes to their device, and saves in their web archive.
Example: d krissy want to pick a Jamba Juice for me while you’re there?
- FAV username
- SET LOCATION placename
- WHOIS username
- GET username
- FAV username
retrieves the profile information for any public user on Twitter.
Example: whois jack
retrieves the latest Twitter update posted by the person.
Example: get goldman
marks a person’s last twitter as a favorite. (hint: reply to any update with FAV to mark it as a favorite if you’re receiving it in real time)
Example: fav al3x
- INVITE phone number
this command returns your number of followers, how many people you’re following, and your bio information.
will send an SMS invite to a friend’s mobile phone.
Example: Invite 415 555 1212
- using on/off username from your phone only stops notifications to the place the command comes from; you’ll still collect a person’s updates on the web.
- using follow/leave username from your phone is the same as using on/off username.
- following someone from a phone for the first time will also cause you to follow them on the web.
- there is no way to stop following a person on the web without visiting their profile and removing them. The off, leave, stop, and quit commands will only disable updates for the device(s) from which they were sent.
- you don’t have to use on/off username from the phone, you can also set individual notifcations from a person’s profile page, or check your following page and manage all phone notification settings there.